Saturday, March 21, 2009

What is a Santero?

IMG_2261_display

A Santero is an artisan that makes Santos (Saints) by painting or woodcarving. I hand carve wood pieces and they come in the form of retablos and bultos (a carving in the round). I became a Santero to explore the Holy people and the lives they lead among the poor and broken. I am working out my faith through the wood.

Right now I am working on a San Martin, who did tireless work on behalf of the poor and he was the first biracial person to be sainted. The piece I am working on is a small 9" bulto, this is to prepare myself for the 4 ft. San Martin I was commissioned to do. I will add photos of my work in progress to completion throughout the next few months.

By El Rey Art Work 

you can visit his shop at this link:

 http://elreyartwork.1000markets.com

3 comments:

Kim said...

Rob's work is "miraculous" so to speak!
Take a look at his shop on 1000markets.com
Thanks Rob!
Brett
VanFleetStreetDesign.1000Markets.com

J.T. Nee said...

Holy cow! I'm old enough to remember when St. Martin was canonized.
I always think of my workroom as a substitute for church. It's when I'm closest to God. I'm sure all artists feel the same.
Beautiful work!

Tammy and Rob said...

Thanks Brett and J.T. Nee!